Tuesday 9 October 2012

9/11 Memorial

I am exhausted and need a rest so I thought I would describe what we have done so far today

 Gary and I went on a touristy sightseeing tour on a the upper level of a bus. It was a cool cloudy morning.


The bus we were on was a on and off bus so we got off at the 9/11 Memorial site.

 As we turned down the street where we were to get our tickets (which are free) we saw one of the new towers being constructed on the site called The Freedom Tower...........


As you can see this tower extends into the clouds. It was magnificent! 

To get to the Memorial you had to go through security and it took awhile to walk around the construction but it was worth it.

 There are two pools a North and a South Pool. They are on the sites where The Twin Towers stood.

t

This is the South pool. Thirty foot waterfalls cascade down the sides into the pool where they finally descend into a void. (The North Pool Is the same)

All the names of the victims are inscribed around the pools.

Gary standing by the south pool construction going on all around us

As we walked around this memorial you got the feeling that this is a gravesite. It reminded me of the feeling I got when I went to Beaumont Hamel in France. There is this kind of overwhelming feeling of sadness but peace..........very hard to describe. It is a place everyone should visit. I am glad I did. 

Take Care











No comments:

Post a Comment